Monday, February 25, 2013

'A Month in Tokyo' Exceeds Expectations

Proving once again that study abroad is a must-do for all undergraduate students, PC student Brenda Fabig spent spring block 2013 in Japan under the auspices of a carefully planned Independent Study. Brenda, who hails from Seattle, has had a life-long interest in Japanese language and culture. With just two years left in her Education program, she knew she wanted to do an immersion experience in Japan before she got side-tracked with other goals. In her first semester, fall 2012, she created an IS focused on improving her Japanese reading, writing, and speaking skills. With support from the Learning Commons, Brenda spelled out a rigorous study plan, arranged to meet weekly with a native Japanese speaker in Prescott, and applied for a scholarship to Education First for a one-month stay in Tokyo. 

That first IS served Brenda very well. From concentrated self-study and conversing with her language partner she found herself "capable of producing, in both speech and writing, many kinds of sentences."

"I feel confident in my ability to express myself in Japanese," she wrote by the end of that course.

Then came Tokyo in January this year. On her first day in Japan she wrote,
My host parents are in their late sixties and speak no English. Their house is large and has a beautifully cared for garden, blooming with winter flowers. It’s very traditional, and I mean super traditional. Tatami mats, shoji windows, pagoda roof. My heart almost burst with thankfulness. In coming to Japan, I was hoping I could stay in Kyoto to experience traditional culture. When it became apparent that Tokyo would be the only workable avenue for study, I was disappointed. But with my host parents I have a little slice of traditional Japan. 
For four glorious weeks Brenda attended a Japanese language school, took trips with her host family and friends, and explored the dense riches of Tokyo via its efficient (but expensive) public transit system.

She chronicled her adventures in her blog so those of us left behind could follow her at a distance. Her long fascination with the kimono did not go unsatisfied.

"I have tried on kimono three times in Japan. 日本で、着物を三回着ました


"We found a Kimono shop ($20,000+ a pop!) where I was allowed to try one on for free." 

Brenda earned 4 upper division credits on a PC Independent Study contract for her spring block immersion experience.

"My time in Japan proved to be the greatest educational and cultural experience of my life," Brenda wrote in her self-evaluation.

"I put Japanese into practice because I had to rely on it daily in everything I did....Though I struggled, and there will always be more to learn, I am satisfied with my intermediate language skills."

Brenda hopes to enter the JET program once she completes her double competence in Education and Literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment